A to Z Challenge

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Review: The Written


You can find The Written here.

I started this book ages ago. Then things got busy, you know NaNoWriMo, Christmas, paying taxes, kids, heck life. So it sat in my kindle half-read for quite some time. I recently have been working on my daughter's school yearbook. I've gone through so many pictures my eyes started watering and I couldn't distinguish a first grader from a sixth grader and decided to take a break. So, I finally finished reading The Written, by Ben Galley.

This story is Ben's first, but I know there's another just waiting to be loaded into my kindle. I'm looking forward to returning to the world of Emaneska to find out how the story will mature and to see if Ben's writing also matured. I really enjoyed this action packed fantasy novel. The story is unique and powerful, the characters are fully fleshed and come alive. I really wanted to give it five stars, but there were a few things that kept me from doing so. Nothing major, so it still receives a 3 1/2 to 4 star rating from me. I'm so wishy washy I can't decide which to give it. One more edit, with a little heavier red pen and this would deserve the full five stars! I felt like there were times when four or five words could've been taken out and replaced with just one. And some just didn't need to be there at all. I know, picky picky. It's just that with a story of this magnitude, those extra little words make it drag a little. But here's the deal, I did enjoy the story, and I do want to read more. That's all a person needs to know, right?

I won't bore you by rehashing what it's about. If you like magic, DRAGONS, and lots of action and suspense, go see if it's your cup of tea!



2 comments:

  1. I do this so often, start a book and take forever to get back to it. Nice that you didn't spoil the story for us.

    Thanks for checking out my AtoZ.
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com
    AtoZ #41

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally don't do that...but this time, life got in the way. Thanks for stopping by Rhonda.

      Delete