A to Z Challenge

Monday, July 22, 2013


The Battle for Princess Madeline

By Kirstin Pulioff

Have you been to the Kingdom of Soron yet?  I have, and I met King Theodore and his twin children, Prince Braden and Princess Madeline.  I met the Knight Daniel who won the Princess'  heart and Elias her wizard uncle in his brilliant green robes who returns from exile to teach her the ways of magic.  What a delightful adventure I found between the pages of The Battle for Princess Madeline.

This book is written for middle grade students and I think the author hit the mark, with just the right amount of action without gratuitous bloodshed.  The romance is handled without too much gush!  Your child will either giggle at the gentle little shows of affection, or maybe, like my 10-year old, Sierra, they’ll blush and say, “Eww gross!” while secretly being delighted. 

This is the second book in a series.  I’ve read the first book The Escape of Princess Madeline and was delighted to see that Madeline has done some growing up, and gives some thought to her actions and their consequences.  Madeline has become a thoughtful young lady, who thinks about her Kingdom first, not just her own happiness.  She is still a lil' stubborn, but in a good way.  She's learned to listen to advice and weigh it, but to still follow her heart. 

I feel like the author's voice strengthened in her second book, which delights me to no end, as there are more adventures waiting for Madeline and Daniel.  The writing keeps getting better, with more "show" and less "tell".  Psst!  I believe we’ll be encountering dragons soon!  Squee!  Kirstin is writing the third book now, with a release date of late 2013/early 2014!  Yay, Sierra and I have another adventure to look forward to.

When I review, I don't like to rehash the synopsis too much.  You can get a good idea of what the book is all about at Amazon, and I've provided a link so you can do just that, I also provided the books blurb below for your perusal.  I'm guessing you just want to know whether I liked it or not.  I would highly recommend  The Battle for Princess Madeline for the 4th-8th Grader in your life.
Synopsis:  The Kingdom of Soron bustled with activity as preparations for the Fall Festival began. Lively merchants, hardworking farmers, and musicians eagerly awaited this event of harvest and joy. This year’s festival was even more important, as they celebrated Princess Madeline’s betrothal to her knight champion, Daniel
.
Celebration quickly turns to disaster as Prince Paulsen returns with curious demands, either Princess Madeline will be his, or no ones. Rejection turns to obsession and battle is declared.

In a tense struggle to decide her future, Princess Madeline must choose where to put her trust… in the king’s tried and true plan, the wizard’s cryptic messages and maps, or her own sense of bravery. Follow Princess Madeline on this adventure as she battles evil in an attempt to create a future of love and magic.
Click here for the amazon link to purchase.
 
 
Kirstin Pulioff is a storyteller at heart. Born and raised in Southern California, she moved to the Pacific Northwest to follow her dreams and graduated from Oregon State University (Go Beavs!) with a degree in Forest Management. Happily married and a mother of two, she lives in Oregon, and enjoys being a stay at home mom. When she's not writing, she is busy with her kids, church and the family business.

I love to hear from my readers and fans. Please connect with me at any of these sites:
Webpage: www.kirstinpulioff.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/kirstinpulioffauthor
Twitter: www.twitter.com/KirstinPulioff
Goodreads:www.goodreads.com/author/show/6558842.Kirstin_Pulioff

No comments:

Post a Comment