Monday, January 28, 2013
Okay, so day one...I found a page from a book about the fantastical creatures of Aigerach. Mind you, it appears there are more creatures in this land, but all I found was this one page caught in the branches of the oak tree behind my house. I would love to take a trip to this land, though I dare say, I'd want to whole book to guide me, who knows what other kinds of creatures I might run into.
Aigerach - Fantastical Creatures Abound
1. Dragons - These large flying creatures make their home on Draconis Island, but many a farmer on Aigerach can attest to the beasts appetite for sheep. They are large and scaly with fiery breath. They can be any color, though the red dragons are thought to be most fierce. The majority of dragons shun humans, but the Princess Ravyn befriended Ena, a sassy scarlet dragon. Ena and her son Ardan are frequent visitors to Aigerach, so keep your eyes to the skies if you hope to catch a sight of one.
2. Unicorn - These horse-like creatures are magnificent. They come in a variety of colors, with a large opalescent horn. A large herd lives in Wanderer's Forest, led by a large white stallion, Giallag. Here's a funny thing. Once again, these creatures used to keep to themselves, and were rarely seen, but due to a chance encounter with Princess Ravyn, they have been seen fighting alongside the army of Aigerach. Their voices are melodious, their words sound like musical notes played by a variety of orchestral instruments. If you are out in the woods at night and you hear music floating on the air, unicorn may be nearby.
3. Harpies - In the recent past, Harpies were a nuisance. These half-bird women kept dirty nests, cursed incessantly, and fought constantly. A chance encounter with a harpy in the woods would leave your ears ringing with foul language at the least, your body covered in icky excrement for sure and at worst could end your life. The males of the species are fragile as youngsters. As they lived in squalid conditions, few survived. After an encounter with the Princess Ravyn, the Harpy Clan has taken a 180 degree turn. They keep themselves and their nests immaculate and very rarely drop the f-bomb or any fecal spatter either. There has been a rise in the number of male harpies.
4. Wolves - Okay, so this sounds rather mundane. We've been talking about dragons and unicorn and harpies...but wolves? These creatures remain shy and elusive, but should you run into a wolf on Aigerach, you'll understand why they fall into the fantastical creature realm. Let's just say, once again, the Princess Ravyn has touched some lives with her magic and changed things up a bit. The wolves have the ability to speak, though they don't find communicating with most humans very enlightening. They can also smell the scent of magic, whether it be of the Light or the Darkness. Kialgyn, a large gray wolf, is the Alpha male and leader of the pack.
5. Selkies - Now, technically while they do not live on Aigerach, a couple selkies have been spotted on the mainland. Selkies are creatures of land and sea, part man and part seal. While in their human form, the selkies possess irresistible charm and are able to woo any maid that happens near. The transformation from man to seal occurs due to the magical properties of the seals skin. While in seal form, a selkie can remove their fur to transform into a human. They are very protective about the hiding place of their skin, for there is nothing worse than to be trapped as a human forever. Princess Ravyn and Queen Lareina have kept the story of their time spent with the selkies quite quiet.
6. Mara - A nightmare. Really and literally, not something you want to come into contact with. It is best not to sleep alone, as you will have difficulty breaking its hold over you on your own. A nightmare is nothing like a horse, it is a small demon that will sit on a victim's chest crushing the breath from their lungs. All the while it floods their vision with the most horrible images, the things one fears the most. It savors the fear that emanates from its victims and it feeds their soul to the Darkness. The only way to break their hold, and its rather silly but true, is for someone to offer them a gift the following day if they'll leave.
Come join in the fun of this bloghop and let us all know about your world...