A to Z Challenge

Monday, August 27, 2012

75 Words - Big Kid

So not long ago, I read a great little book, filled with short little stories (each a mere 75 words), that I thoroughly enjoyed. I have wanted to employ that idea with my own writing to play with the concept, to see what kind of impact can be made with just a few words. Here's my first little attempt.

Sierra, 9, is a fourth grader this year. She made a realization at school, she's on the big kid side of campus. Hence, she is a big kid. The glow of pride that shines on her cheeks is adorable.
"So, you're a big kid now?"
"Yup."
"Your sister left for college, who's going to clear off the table now?"
She looks around, puzzled.
"You are, congratulations! You're a big kid!"
Sometimes life just ain't fair.

2 comments:

  1. You have such a way with words, and are truly gifted! Will enjoy reading you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you Nell, that put a big smile on my face this morning. Nice to meet you.

      Delete