A to Z Challenge

Friday, August 31, 2012

Looking Forward To...

This Sunday. Here at my house, the gloves come off. Because really, it'd be awkward to play cribbage with gloves on. Who will come out on top? Who will be the point counting, card manipulating wizard? Who will walk away with the top prize, a beautiful handmade board created by the woodworking mastermind Tom Zehrung. My daddy : )

We've held this tournament twice now, and both times the grandmaster poobah winner has been...drumroll please...my dad. Sigh. He's a winner that one. I suppose he's got a few years of wisdom and card analysis to back him up. But, dang it, I've beaten him before, on more than one occasion. This is it, third time's a charm, right? I've just gotta play my cards right, literally. Maybe I'll spend the next couple days reading up on cribbage strategy, see if I can find a few tricks, give me an ace up my sleeve.

Whether I win, lose or come out somewhere in the muddy middle, the real winner is me. Much of my large family is coming from miles away so we might bicker and banter and well, in all honesty, actually just enjoy each other. When you have 10 siblings, the likelihood of all of them showing up at any one time gets pretty slim. But, I'm excited that we'll have 7 out of my parent's 11 kids here! That's not too bad! Add to that some nieces and nephews. We also will have other friends here that are family, you know what I mean, those folks that may not be blood related, but you'd do anything for them, and they'd do anything for you.

I think there's a little of my momma in me, 'cause the thought of a full house doesn't stress me at all, it excites me. The more the merrier. So, if you hear some extra laughter in the air Sunday or anguished cries (I've likely called Muggins ; ) follow it to its source and join us.

Happy Labor Day Weekend everyone. May your labor only be ones of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment