A to Z Challenge

Saturday, November 16, 2013

WeWriWa - One Scared Momma


Welcome to another installment in the fantastic, exciting, and ever brilliant Weekend Writing Warriors snippets extravaganza!  If you happened upon this humble blog by chance, and want to know who else is involved, and how you can also partake in the fun, please, by all means, click this here link!  The skinny is this...writer's from all over the world, post eight sentences from their published works, or works in progress each and every Sunday.  Then they read each other's splendiferous words, sometimes they laugh, sometimes they cry, and at times read stuff that scares the bejeezus out of them.  A few of those fantastic writer's words are hot stuff, so you might want to keep a fan handy!  They also post words of encouragement, ask questions, offer ideas or gentle critique. 
Okay, so this week I'm continuing on with Ravyn and Ena.  If you remember, we left Ena pondering the girl before her, and the explanations she's been given.  I've been creative with punctuation, which is probably pretty obvious.
 
“How long will this journey take you?”

Ravyn noticed the smoke from the dragon’s nostrils had decreased to a slim plume.  “...I have to get to Aigerach first, and well, you have rather destroyed my transportation.  It’s going to take me a week at least to put together a seaworthy raft to get me across that channel.  A half day of sailing, I’d guess, then it’ll probably take a month or so to cross over the land to get to Veris.  How long till your egg hatches?”

“Over a month, as long as it’s kept warm--this aunt of yours stole it for blood, you think?  Who knows if my baby still lives,” Ena began to sob, hiccupping a puff of smoke.
 
Oh, my.  Don't you just want to give that momma dragon some loving?  Poor girl...
 
Since we are in the month of November, I'd just like to say, I'm thankful I happened upon WeWriWa, and all you amazing and supportive writers.  Please consider yourself truly appreciated!

49 comments:

  1. Ohh yes I do want to comfort her. There there, dear Ena, Ravyn will help you! Just be gentle, she's not insulated against your breath ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, poor dragon. The hiccup was a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've created a believable world of fantasy. Good job, Millie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charmaine. I think I've lived a lot of my life in my imaginary worlds ; )

      Delete
  4. Racing the clock--get there before that egg hatches and her baby is turned to the evil side. :-) Excellent choice, Millie! Good 8 :-) Good book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I certainly do feel for the poor mother dragon - you've created her as very believable here! Excellent excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the poor dragon. I hope they are able to rescue the egg!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now we have a time table! Expertly done. Great eight, as always! And poor dragon. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gives you an idea that Ravyn's has many more hurdles to jump...

      Delete
  8. Oh no, poor mommy dragon. I'm nervous of her hiccups though, great touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She let her internal fires dampen...she's realized Ravyn's not her enemy : )

      Delete
  9. Mothers are mothers world around, it seems. I love the way you continue to humanize the dragons, Millie, great 8!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ena is very much a person...she's just very large and scaly, with some powerful breath if she employs it : )

      Delete
  10. Poor dragon. Human emotions for a dragon - why not indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's intelligent for sure, and why should humans be the only ones with emotion?

      Delete
  11. I definitely want to giver her a hug! Well done.
    Tina Christopher (having issues with my ID;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'd hug you back. She's not as scary mean as she likes to pretend : )

      Delete
  12. Great job on how you've humanized the dragon when she's worried for her baby! Another great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how I'd feel if one of my babies went missing...Thanks Lauren.

      Delete
  13. I really felt for Ena. A mother's love for your baby... lovely snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I don't know if there is a greater love...

      Delete
  14. I'm on the dragon's side, and I'm glad she now seems to be on Ravyn's

    ReplyDelete
  15. Poor dragon!

    Can she fly Rayven over?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I like how she hiccups a puff of smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice, friendly read. I'll come back again for more! I.also like the hiccup.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You know, I've never much cared for dragons until this story. You have made me care, Millie. That's talent! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) That's so nice to hear Evelyn. I think they are often misunderstood.

      Delete
  19. Poor Ena. I love the hiccup and puff of smoke. Great visual there. And Ravyn is so interesting, I just adore her. Great eight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel for the poor dragon and her concern for her baby - nice way you've gotten the reader's emotions involved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I figured motherly panic was behind all that aggression, and now we get to see it. Nice. Sounds like momma dragon should try to hurry that journey along.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh no, Ena don't cry, you'll get the egg back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great emotion! Poor dragon. I hope her egg is okay! Love the visual of the plumes of smoke. Great 8.

    ReplyDelete