A to Z Challenge

Saturday, May 24, 2014

It's another fantastic day, with fantastic goings-on.  It's a Weekend Writing Warriors day, filled with all manner of writing to get your brain percolating.  As I type these words, I am just salivating, thinking about all the great snippets I'm going to read as I hop around the web.  Snippets that will make me laugh, snippets that will make me cry, and snippets that will make me blush!  Are you still a bit confused about what I'm speaking of?  Then click the link above, and all will become clear!

This week, I'm sharing eight more lines with you from my WIP.  I have skipped over all kinds of things that show you what's happening with some of the other characters in the story.  I've taken up with Ravyn and her mother waking up the morning after the nasty unpleasantness with the Mara and the heroic antics of His Nibs.  Lareina had slept through the whole thing, and we start off with Ravyn speaking. 

“Mom, you ready to get going?”
Lareina rubbed the grit from her eyes.  “I think I actually got some rest last night.  Did it all go well?”
“Yeah, everything went fine,” Ravyn mumbled as she shoved the empty wine skin into her pack.

Lareina gazed at her for a moment.  “The wine skin’s empty?  Ravyn, I know we’ve been under a lot of stress, and I know drinking can make a person sort of relax and feel like their troubles are not as bad as they seem, but it’s a temporary fix, and drinking too much makes it difficult to think clearly…”


A big old heartfelt thank you to all veterans, those still alive, and those that watch over us as angels.  Your sacrifice is precious, and not in vain.  God bless.  

41 comments:

  1. Wonder if she's going to try to tell her mother about His Nibs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. : ) That's probably better than her mom thinking she's been hitting the sauce : )

      Delete
  2. Good "mom speech". I think I heard something along those lines myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a mom of two young adult women...and I was a young teenage woman once myself : ) Heard the speech, given speeches quite similar.

      Delete
  3. hehe, sometimes a temporary fix is all one can get ;-)
    have a great memorial day week-end, Millie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. Temporary fixes are okie dokie in my book!

      Delete
  4. [hic] I don't know what you're talking about.. [hic]

    ;D

    Great snippet, Millie -- darn Moms! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We darn moms are just doing our jobs. Can't help it if we worry and obsess : )

      Delete
  5. Oh how funny, Mom sure jumped to the wrong conclusion. This will be a very interesting conversation - wonder if his Nibs will show himself to the mother? Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This conversation isn't over yet...we'll see : )

      Delete
  6. LOL Poor Ravyn! Now her mother thinks she's drinking...I can't wait until she meets Nibs (will she?). Great snippet, Millie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Nibs is known to pop in whenever and wherever he chooses : )

      Delete
  7. Very natural dialogue--and I like the message infused seamlessly into the snippet. :-)

    And I LOVE your red, white, and blue message at the bottom. Have a good Memorial Day, Millie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sometimes those messages just find their way into our work, don't they?

      Delete
  8. Seems to me I've said those word before. Sage advice for mom. Delightful knowing the back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you probably have : ) Thanks for popping in Charmaine!

      Delete
  9. In my case, drinking to much always leads to taking a long nap. Great back story,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, drinking makes a person snoozy at times.

      Delete
  10. Nice dialogue between them. For me, too much wine makes me sleepy and tipsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wine'll do that to ya! Ravyn hasn't been hitting the bottle though...there's another explanation : )

      Delete
  11. "I didn't do it, Mom. It was a tiny man---he drank all the wine and then chased away an evil shadow thing that was hiding in that bush. That's why you can't see him. Really."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he he...yup, she does happen to be innocent.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. I love this delightful red called Curious Beasts. So tasty and smooth. His Nibs would love it!

      Delete
  13. Great dialogue, and even though I haven't read previous snippets, I'm assuming the wine is gone because of the drama the mom slept through

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are perceptive. If you want to read up a little on His Nibs, the previous weeks snippets detail his interaction with Ravyn and the Mara...all while momma slept!

      Delete
  14. A natural mistake on Mom's part, I see. Well, the advice is good even if unwarranted. :) Nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna, yup, mom is not quite in on the whole scene yet.

      Delete
  15. Interesting how the mum immediately thinks Ravyn has been drinking. Great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's only the two of them at the campsite, and the wine is gone : )

      Delete
  16. Ha! If she keeps hanging out with His Nibs, she'll be left holding the empty wine bag all the time! Fun snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Nibs does have an eye for fine spirits : )

      Delete
  17. and mom slept through it all? Hmmm, can't help wondering if she took a few sips as well? But I am chucking over the explanation Ravyn would have to give her to understand who really finished the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL! "It wasn't me, His Nibs drank all the wine!" --and Lareina wonders if her daughter has found some funny mushrooms, too :D Lovely subtle humor here, Millie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia. I am glad I'm not in Ravyn's shoes. My mom would've killed me : )

      Delete
  19. Haha! Mom is rightfully concerned. :D Can't wait to see how she explains this one. Great job, as always, Millie!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your mix of paranormal with human struggles. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hum, Ravyn has got a drinking side? What is she going to answer to that?

    ReplyDelete