A to Z Challenge

Monday, July 30, 2012

Eating an elephant

My introduction to social media was a bit overwhelming at first. I had not taken in to account what all it entailed, and the first week or so was overwhelming. I never thought I'd ever have a twitter account, but here I am @BurnsMillie tweeting about my book, sharing news about my blog, sharing news about other writer's books and blogs, and trying to add friends (not just followers). Making those connections has been a fun experience and I'm slowly getting the hang of it all.

Blogging is another thing I never thought I'd do. Not that it was an abhorrent thought to me, I actually just didn't think about it. I have found it to be an enjoyable experience, and love meeting other people from around the world who are putting themselves out there, sharing their experiences and knowledge. This blogfest is a great example of meeting quality people who share similar goals, I'm so glad I came across it!

Goodreads has been a great investment in my time as well. I've found fellow author friends who are willing to help with amazon marketing efforts, and I've used the giveaway to help promote my book. Currently I have a giveaway that will end tomorrow. If you'd like to enter to win a free copy of Return of the Crown here's the link... http://ow.ly/cBhtT

Return of the Crown has it's own website. It's www.returnofthecrown.com It is in it's baby stages right now, but offers links to all the places you can find me. The plan is for it to grow into a fun place with games and book trailers and a myriad of things for fans of Ravyn, Blade and the rest of the gang.

Being an author, a wife, a mom of three, a Physical Therapist Assistant, the bookkeeper for my husbands business -- these things keep me just a little busy. My first child is leaving for college in a couple weeks -- I feel the sands of time slipping through my fingers and I'm frantic for just a few more grains to spend with her. I'm learning to weave my social media time in to my daily schedule. And making sure I step away and spend time with my family, my writing, and my other responsibilities.

What I found with all of this, is that I have to eat my elephant a little a day. Elephants are a bit chewy and too much elephant at once is hard to digest. So, I nibble a bit here and there to shrink that oversized meal into many smaller ones I can tolerate.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post, Millie. I think that nibbling is the BEST way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sylvia, it's the only way I can sanely make everything fit into my life.

      Delete