A to Z Challenge

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Who is Millie Burns? First and foremost, I should warn you, I have been known to be rather chatty. I am the baby of eleven children. I believe, but don't quote me on this, all the attention I received at the hands of my ever-adoring siblings set me up to be an extrovert. Don't blame me, blame it on them. Because of this though, I have a smile for just about everyone I meet, usually am having a "fantastic" day, and will easily chat with just about anyone, anywhere, about anything.

In a family that large, there was always someone willing to read to me. Therefore I learned to read at a very early age. By two, I had memorized my favorite books, and would recite them, turning the pages when appropriate. Mom thought she had a genius on her hands, but soon realized I didn't recognize the words in other books. But, by three, I was reading. I devoured everything I could get my hands on. Reading opened up strange new worlds to me. My fascination with fantastic and scary stories is a long one (again I blame my siblings). My wild imagination sent me flying into my parent's bed nearly every night.

  Flash forward to my adult years. My love of people and wanting to help them steered me in the direction of the health care industry. My uncomfortable friendship with needles and blood pushed me towards Physical Therapy. I have been a Physical Therapist Assistant for over 20 years. I am also a Personal Trainer. I've jokingly told my clients that PT stands for pain and torture, or personal terrorist, or my favorite - Priestess of Torture! For some reason, they don't find it as amusing as I do.

Of all the jobs on my resume, my absolute favorite is that of wife and mom, which embodies a multitude of job titles in one package (chauffer, shrink, chef, teacher, secretary, maid, party planner, and the list goes on...and on). For over half of my twenty years in this field, I've been blessed to be able to work from home. My husband and I have three beautiful, smart, and talented daughters. Our two eldest are college age, though I'm sure I'm not old enough to have kids in college. Our youngest is going into the fourth grade. I have run the gambit in all things girl related for well over twenty years. Not to toot my own horn, but I am definitely an expert in this field!

All of these things have finally combined in my life to create the last little thing you should know about me. I am an author! I find myself full to overflowing with ideas that draw from places and people I have encountered through the years. This humble little blog will undoubtedly be a mixed bag of things about writing, parenting, healthcare ideas and issues that interest me, as well as other oddly random topics that pop into my brain!

Okay, so my hubby's making that hand sign at me, you know, the one where your top fingers meet your thumb and go up and down. Yeah, just like a mouth, gab, gab, gab!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier - it's nice to 'meet' you :)

    ReplyDelete